Saturday, December 4, 2010

Academic IELTS or General Training IELTS for immigration?

Today's best IELTS information is about whether to take Academic or General Training IELTS.

I've been asked the question, 'Which test do I take?' so many times, so here's the information I generally give students.  If you want to study overseas, you must take Academic IELTS, if you want IELTS for immigration to Australia, Canada or New Zealand, you should take the General Training IELTS.

Recently, a visitor to my website told me he had taken Academic IELTS six months ago (scoring band 7) and if I thought he'd be able to immigrate to Australia with the exam he'd taken.  OK, so here's the heads-up as I understand it.  Immigration authorities usually as for a particular General Training IELTS score but on more than one occasion I have had students who have successfully used their Academic IELTS score.  I have trawled the internet for information on this and it appears that Australian and Canadian immigration both accept Academic IELTS as well as General Training IELTS, which is somewhat logical as the Speaking and Listening Tests are the same for both formats and Academic Reading and Writing Tests are more challenging than their General Training counterparts.

In any case, I strongly advise you contact the relevant immigration authorities to confirm this.  You should keep the following in mind; you must take the Academic test for study purposes and as the General Training test is less taxing than the Academic test, take that one if that's what you're asked for.  One of my students needed IELTS for immigration and study so he took Academic IELTS and was successful in both aims.

Remember that your IELTS test result is only valid for two years so do your research before enrolling for a test.  You must find the balance between giving yourself enough time to achieve the IELTS result you need before any applications and sitting an IELTS Test too early (thinking of possible future plans) and finding that your score is no longer valid.  You don't want the additional expense of sitting a test more than once.

For speaking test tips, why not download my free IELTS Speaking report; Speaking Test Tips from an IELTS Tutor.  I'm sure you'll find it useful!

If you're enjoying my best IELTS tips, why not look me up on 'youtube'.  My channel is 'bestieltsonline'.

 

Alanna

 

1 comment:

  1. MS in Germany is free if you have score 70% in your bachelor degree and your IELTS score is 6.0 at least as there are very few seats so you have to apply as soon as possible.

    IELTS Speaking

    ReplyDelete