Monday, December 20, 2010

Improving your IELTS Reading Skills.

Today's best IELTS tip is about improving your IELTS Reading skills.

How often has it happened to you in an English class that the teacher asks you to read a passage and then asks 'So what's it about?' and the room is so silent that you can hear a pin drop?!  I always advise my students to practise note-taking to prepare for the test as you need to be able to identify ideas in a text.

I suggest you use a table similar to the one below:

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Paragraph

Main idea

Details

 

Para1

 

 

Para 2

 

 

Para 3

 

 

Doing this type of exercise whenever you practise reading will help train your brain into looking for the main idea and supporting details when you are reading. 

Before you attempt any of the tasks in the IELTS Reading Test, you should read the passage quickly for gist first.  After that initial reading, you want to have a clear idea of the key ideas and the previous exercise will help you get into the habit of doing this.

For speaking test tips, why not download my free IELTS Speaking report; Speaking Test Tips from an IELTS Tutor.  I'm sure you'll find it useful!

If you're enjoying my best IELTS tips, why not look me up on 'youtube'.  My channel is 'bestieltsonline'.

 

Alanna

No comments:

Post a Comment