Monday, October 25, 2010

IELTS Reading Test Tips - Flowchart and diagram task types.

Today's best IELTS tip is about flowcharts and diagrams in the IELTS Reading Test.

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

One of the question types in the IELTS Reading Test is when you are given a flowchart or diagram and you must insert labels/headings based on information from the passage.

In this post, I’d like to share with you the list of tips I give my students when dealing with this question type:

 

  • First of all you should skim read the passage to get the gist (general idea)

 

  • If you are completing a flowchart, it is necessary to be aware of the order in which events happen in the passage

 

  • If you are labeling a diagram, you need to understand how the different parts of the picture relate to what is described in the passage.

 

  • For each stage in the flow chart / part of the diagram, you should locate the part of the passage which contains the same ideas

 

  • Make sure you are aware of any word limits (e.g. WRITE NO MORE THAN THREE WORDS) and don’t exceed those word limits.

 

  • Don’t alter words from the passage when labelling a flowchart / diagram.  Let me give you an example; if the passage mentions a ‘silicone chamber’ and you can see this on the diagram / flowchart, don’t change the words to ‘siliconising chamber’.

 

For speaking test tips, why not download my free IELTS Speaking report; Speaking Test Tips from an IELTS Tutor.  I'm sure you'll find it useful!

If you're enjoying my best IELTS tips, why not look me up on 'youtube'.  My channel is 'bestieltsonline'.

 

Alanna

 

No comments:

Post a Comment