Sunday, October 10, 2010

Improving your IELTS Reading Skills.

Today's best IELTS tip is about how to improve your reading for the IELTS Reading Test.

Time and time again, I say to my students, "Read EVERYTHING".  Why do I say this?  Well, for me extensive reading serves three purposes:

  • it improves your reading skills
  • it increases your vocabulary, your knowledge of how to use grammar and of the language in general
  • it helps develop your writing skills

So, what kind of things can you read?  Some of the suggestions on this list will be better suited to the Academic IELTS Reading Test, some to the General Training Reading Test, you decide which ones suit your purpose best.  Some suggestions are easier to implement if you're living in an English-speaking country.  The most important thing, though, is to try to enjoy it!

  • scientific or business magazines
  • fashion magazines
  • English newspapers
  • free magazines and newspapers
  • novels and books
  • text books in English (if you're a student)
  • magazines and newspapers on the internet
  • labels on food
  • labels on toiletries
  • bus tickets / train tickets
  • the English section of instruction manuals (for your mobile phone, DVD player etc)

I studied French and German at university and speak fluent Italian and have followed my own advice over the years.  Trust me, it works!

For speaking test tips, why not download my free IELTS Speaking report; Speaking Test Tips from an IELTS Tutor.  I'm sure you'll find it useful!

If you're enjoying my best IELTS tips, why not look me up on 'youtube'.  My channel is 'bestieltsonline'.

 

Alanna

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment